Spring

Spring
The beautiful weather has given us a head start. Let's hope Jack Frost doesn't pay us a visit.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Living on the Edge

I went into my greenhouse yesterday holding my breath. I took the chance of not putting on the heater as we were not supposed to get frost. Well......we got frost. Everything looked fine. Thank goodness. The door to the greenhouse is trashed and needs to be fixed after we had a big wind whip up and practically pulled it off the hinges.So in the fall we have a lot of repairs to do on the poor thing.
I planted all my garlic chives in the garden yesterday. After relocating some hyacinths to my flower bed I think I have a finalized plan for the herb garden. When it is done and up I will take a picture. 
We have more than enough chives thanks to the previous owner and have decided to make chive blossom vinegar. It is easy and the blossoms infuse the vinegar with a beautiful pink color. Plus it will taste incredible on a salad. 
Today I am going to start the lettuce beds. I am late starting a them. Other than the spinach and baby leaf we are trying out a mini romaine head. They are a perfect size for a salad. 
I also want to get my peas in before the end of the weekend. Things have been slow as everyone in the house has been sick. Everyone seems on the mend though so hopefully things can now get back to normal. My body is telling me it needs a day off, but it will have to wait one more day. 
Oh I almost forgot. I have now read Farm Inc. The book based on the movie. Let's just say I am glad I know where 90% of my food comes from. It is an eyeopener. I recommend it if you have any interest at all in where your food comes from, how it was grown and at what cost to the planet, the animals and man kind. It is an eye-opener to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment