Spring

Spring
The beautiful weather has given us a head start. Let's hope Jack Frost doesn't pay us a visit.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Making Pots and buying Ground

I have been putting off making my pots to plant the seeds and this weekend I have to stop my procrastination. I make the pots from newspaper and it is a messy job. Good for the environment, but messy. I have some left over from last year so that should get me started.
I have decided to make my own potting soil this year. I usually buy it but you can't get it this time of year in big enough quantities. So I thought I would make it using my own recipe. If it works out I will share it with you. I am going to use some of the worm compost in the mix. Apparently 20% is the golden number. I always add some cinnamon too. It is an organic way to ward off dampening off.
I also have to order my greenhouse and look around for a stove. We are getting one for the basement. I will make all the preserves down there and I won't have to worry about making jam in 35 degree weather. The basement is always cooler and I won't have all that mess upstairs. It will be nice to have two kitchens. Next year we hope to renovate and build extra counter tops and a small store to sell all our goodies from.
All very exciting new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment