Spring

Spring
The beautiful weather has given us a head start. Let's hope Jack Frost doesn't pay us a visit.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Seeds to be Sown

My favourite time of the year is selecting seeds and planning this years garden. It is a time when all things are possible. The ultimate garden is in my imagination, where no bad weather, no bad bugs, or no bad bacteria live.
This year like the others we are mixing somethings old with somethings new.

New


edamame -these soybeans will likely not produce enough to sell the first year, but we are really excited about trying them out. The whole family loves them baked in the oven with a sprinkle of salt and olive oil.

hardy cherries- these are grown on a bush instead of a tree. They can get to be 7-8 feet tall when they reach maturity in 5 years. One plant can produce 20 kgs of cherries. These guys won't be ready to produce for two years but we are quite excited about them. They will do double duty by also providing us with a sound buffer between us and the road.

Back by Popular Demand


green and yellow beans- our bush beans were our biggest producers last year and resulted in some very yummy fresh eating, freezing for the winter and a huge batch of dilly beans. We hope that our crop this year does just as well.

carrots- the carrots last year were so sweet and tasty that despite having frozen an enormous amount they are now all gone. I am ordering rainbow carrots that come in several shades from almost white to deep orange. I have also ordered two other varieties that should make your mouth water.

ground cherries- these yellow fruit that come in husks are also know as the cape gooseberry. I have heard them described as having a pineapple flavour, but I have find they have a flavour all there own. I make jams and pies with them. I love them fresh as well. These are a very tasty berry. They are high in protein for a fruit and very low cal so they make a perfect snack.

garlic- we hope our garlic comes back this year it was very tasty and easy to grow. Planted some in the back field. We shall see if deer like  garlic.

peas- our peas liked the cool damp weather last year. We had a very large crop. The kids love to eat them fresh off the vine. Now that is fresh food.

pumpkins- we are growing baby pams. We have tried pumpkins before, but they didn't turn out very well so this year we will try again. They will be more for pies then carving. I will have those available before thanksgiving.

gourds- we grew these last year. They were very cute. They are small ornamental ones that look good as a centerpiece for the table. They don't even look real.

tomatoes- we always have a great harvest of tomatoes. Cherry, beefstake, and romas, all love the soil here. We make spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, and salsa. So sweet that you can eat them right off the vine. My favourite are the golden cherry tomatoes.

green peppers- trying these again. Last year they had a slow start and that meant only a few could be harvested. I hope we have a nice spring.

Herbs- we are bringing back parsley, dill and chamomile and trying sage and basil. Basil I try every year and every year it dies. No one ever said I wasn't stubborn. We also have oregano, thyme, lemon balm, mint, catnip and chives. Chives being some of the first things that pop up. We also sometimes let the chive flowers come out. They are tasty in a salad and pretty too.

I am sure I am forgetting something but if  am I will add it later. Let me know if you don't see anything you would love to have grown. I don't always take requests but you never know. Also if you would be interested in any of the above as a plant for your own garden let me know.

Plants are sold in the spring when they are ready to be planted and sold at $2.00 each. They are grown using organic practices. Our plants always do well. If you can let me know if you have a specific request or large quantity that would be great. We sell them from our farm, but I am always in the city so I could probably drop them off too.

No comments:

Post a Comment